Friday 18 July 2008

The Cost Of Forgiveness

As my project next year is based on forgiveness, I realised I would have to get my teeth into some slightly deeper book on the subject, and this morning started reading properly L. Gregory Jones' 'Embodying Forgiveness'. I'm forcing myself to think upon the subject, to further engage with it, and writing it down seemed as good a way as any.

We know there is a cost to forgiveness. It offers up our dignity. In some ways, we also lose our victimhood. Once we forgive, we are the victor, not the victim. And yet, it takes great humility to forgive. So why do we do it? For the Christian, the stock answer would be that Christ preaches it. But what about the rest of the world? Why do they forgive? Do they forgive? What is it about forgiveness that holds us back from it, and yet, when we do forgive, we wonder why we didn't do it originally?

Struggles and thoughts. Only 9 pages into a 300 page book.

No comments: