Friday 12 September 2008

African Goings On

Mugabe and Tsvangarai have agreed to share power. I am not sure how this will work out in practice, as they oppose each other on so many issues. I also wonder who compromised. Is Mugabe softening, or has Tsvangarai lessened his democratic aims by 'power-sharing'? The deal means that Mugabe remains president, and has control of the armed forces, while Tsvangarai becomes prime minister, in charge of the police force. I seriously hope, for the health of the nation, these two major forces do not cross paths, and they are used to the correct ends.

--

Jacob Zuma has been cleared of any fraudulent misconduct, allowing him the right to become President. As previously mentioned on this blog, no South African I have spoken to (although it must be noted that they are mostly caucasian middle class South Africans) has a positive opinion of Mr Zuma. His comments regarding HIV/Aids a few years ago show a distinct lack of common sense. In the last three years, he has been accused in three separate court cases, all three collapsing for various reasons. I am not a South African, but I do have various ties with the country. If I were to have a vote, I am sure I would not want this man in charge. He does not fill me with confidence, nor seem to show the ability to lead a country such as South Africa, a country hanging in the balance between the West, and Africa - so delicate a culture that a man with a large clunking fist and a lack of forethought could ruin the good work of the past.

No comments: