Thursday 29 May 2008

Raa-boh...

I have just experienced what one can only describe as a post-modern rag and bone man. Driving along in a medium sized Ford flatloader truck, a rather large lunged fellow at the wheel, and another mouthy man standing on the flatbed itself, I couldn't distinguish at first what it was all about. I originally thought that some drunken workmen were having a sing song. However, when I cycled up to and past them (in the proper manner, after the Highway Code), I finally figured out what the commotion was. I then struck upon another problem. What does one give a rag and bone man? I mean, I knew the phrase... but surely you don't give that actual rags and bones? That's just not very pleasant. Of course, a swift Wikipedia search (much better than googling - 'cause you'd only click on the Wikipedia link anyway) dispelled my erroneous ways. Also, amusingly, Wikipedia informs me that 'today, rag and bone men mostly just operate in very poor areas.' Which is why I saw them on a neighbouring street. The housing crash happened sooner than one thought, it would seem.

It must be noted, however, that this is the first time I have seen a rag and bone man in my twenty years, and I had no clue what one gives such a person. Doesn't bode well for business, really...

Edit: I'm currently sitting upstairs in my room, and today's episode explains a mystery I had never been able to fathom; what the bizarre noise was, coming from the road. So, in retrospect, I had been aware of the rag and bone man, but without knowing what it was. Which bodes slightly better for business, but isn't doing much to convince me of the affluence of my area.

No comments: