Friday 19 March 2010

Politics and Playgrounds

This is where I sit on the political compass, according to politicalcompass.org. I don't think I'm really surprised. I would have thought perhaps a little more right leaning, but even then, I'm much less conservative than I would have been, say, 5 years ago. Amusingly, for those that follow the rather excellent Timothy Goodall, you will notice that our results match. I dearly hope I'm not merely a product of my culture... but I suppose I may as well just resign myself to it.

--

I don't want to say too much about Argentina and The Falklands, simply because, well, I'm well behind, and it mostly has already been said. However, I would like to point out one thing: having Hugo Chavez, the renowned big ball of crazy, on your side is never a good thing. Sorry, Argentina.

"Look, England, how long are you going to be in Las Malvinas? Queen of England, I'm talking to you," said Mr 'My Diplomacy Is Based Upon Playground Taunts' Chavez. "The time for empires are over, haven't you noticed? Return the Malvinas to the Argentine people."Still addressing the 85 year-old and fairly-impotent-when-it-comes-to-law-making, Queen, he went on: "The English are still threatening Argentina. Things have changed. We are no longer in 1982. If conflict breaks out, be sure Argentina will not be alone like it was back then." He described British control of the islands in the South Atlantic as "anti-historic and irrational" and asked "why the English speak of democracy but still have a Queen".

Just... where to start?

No comments: